Sunday, February 27, 2011

Transformations Part 1: I Have the Power!

In an earlier post, I detailed the events that led me to discover my condition. As I stated, I really had no idea how huge an impact my condition had had on my life, and thought the treatment would have an affect akin to my allergy medication. Overall, I would feel no different, but I might be able to avoid some times where I was feeling particularly downtrodden. While I had been prescribed a dosage of my pill, I was told that I should return to the doctor every month for the next couple of months to get it fine tuned. This made sense to me, as even my allergy medication has changed dosage over the years I have taken it. Over the next couple of months I didn't notice any big changes, and I got my thyroid levels tested again as per the doctors orders. My dosage did drop a bit, which made me a feel a bit better as I would not be taking a more concentrated pill (the less medication I need to take the better in my opinion).

During this time I able to procure another job, one more suited to the education (or lack thereof) that I received over the past 6 years. During this time, the winter of 2010 to be precise, I was paying close attention to how I felt, trying to see if there was any noticeable change. The only change that my body seemed to go under though, was a pain in my knees. They didn't seem to want to hold my weight anymore, and I would struggle walking down stairs or even running. This disturbed, as I thought I was supposed to be feeling better with this medication. However, true to my nature, I did not immediately call the doctor, and just ignored it like some ache that will go away.

Winter turned into spring and I got my first apartment, giving me the first opportunity to really live on my own. The weather started to warm up, giving everyone the chance to enjoy the outside once more. It was during this time that I really started to notice the changes to my system. The pain in my knees had finally gone away, leaving me with no indication of why I had it, and I started walking outside a lot more. It was warm and sunny, and I felt like I was breathing fresh air for the first time. When I walked, I felt like I could burst forward at any moment, freely running just for the sake of it. I had not run in a very long time, and it felt good to feel that energy again. On some occasions, I would sprint down the sidewalk to my destination, I'm sure to everyone's puzzlement. If I was trying to catch a train and saw it arriving as I entered the station, I could run and catch it! My whole body seemed to tremble with energy, bringing me back to my childhood days of climbing trees and swinging on monkey bars. I was born again, and the world was so much more this time around!

The increased energy was the most prominent change, and the most welcome. Unfortunately, the energy showed itself in aspects other than physical exertion. I would soon find myself struggling to control emotions that I had thought were managed...

No comments:

Post a Comment